We traveled to Charlotte Sunday to see Mark Knopfler. For many years I have admired his work. Tonight my wife asked if I played any of his songs, and I had to think why not. I concluded that his style and artistry is so unique that I really had no interest in trying to duplicate it. I don't know that I could say that about any other guitarist.
Back to the concert. It was held at Ovens Auditorium, an ageing but reasonably small (about 2500 seats) venue that was vastly different from Verizon Wireless Amphiteater, where along with about 30,00 other people I recently saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. From his recent releases I had thought that Knopfler had possibly scaled back, playing the hits and now and then noodling a few of his trademark licks.
Boy was I wrong. Fronting a group he has played with for a long time, Knopfler put on a wonderful show, showcasing some newer songs as well as the best of Dire Straits. I have always loved Romeo & Juliet and Local Hero, and to be sure I did enjoy them. However, his blistering versions of Sultans of Swing and Telegraph Road were the highlight of the concert for me. He is a master of the extended solo. reworking and building toward a great climax.
Here is a version of the last few minutes of Telegraph Road recorded three years ago. I can assure you that none of the fire and spectacular technique has been lost since then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment